If it wasn't obvious from the pumpkins everywhere.... its Fall! Its one of the most exciting seasons here on the East Coast but its also the entry to one of the toughest seasons on our homes. So take a minute to read-up on what you should do to protect your greatest investment!
Its all about the drainage as we move into the wet seasons so working to keep water at bay is paramount.
- Store all of your outdoor hoses towards the middle or end of Fall and turn off outdoor spigots
- If you have a sprinkler system, time to drain it as well!
- Clear out your gutters, maybe twice..... having large amounts of leaves in your gutters can cause damming and leakage
- Double check that all of your downspouts are angled away from your home and install new drainage where necessary
- Seal windows and doors where necessary
- Check your roof (you can have a professional do this as well!)
- Have your HVAC serviced (but feel free to get multiple opinions for expensive repairs!). At the very least, take this as an opportunity to change your furnace filter.
- Have your chimney cleaned out if you haven't done it recently and inspected for any issues
- Put away/cover any outdoor furniture you don't want exposed to the winter elements
- Clean up garden beds and do any Fall-appropriate pruning and planting for Spring flowers
- Close up your pool if you haven't already!
- And if you are planning on leaving for the winter, don't forget to have your home winterized and HVAC/boiler serviced in advance so you can minimize on empty-home damage